Membership and Governance
The Club is a Company Limited by Guarantee with a Board (Council) made up of Full Members of the Club who have served at least 3 years as Members. A group of Committees led by the Executive Committee manage the day-to-day running of the Club, and prospective Members are approved by the Council and the Membership & Development Committee. Members are admitted quarterly.
The Club welcomes applications from all those eligible to apply. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in all aspects of our activities and membership matters. In particular, we will not treat a Member, Associate Member or potential Member or Associate Member less favourably on grounds of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, age, pregnancy or maternity, disability, religion or belief. We wholeheartedly support the principle of equal opportunities in our membership and oppose all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment or bullying. Our full Equal Opportunities Policy is here.
All applications must be signed by a proposer who is a current Full Member of the Club. If you know someone to propose you but are not sure if they are a Full Member, please contact the Clerk who will assist you.
Download an application form here
- Liverymen and Freemen of City Livery Companies
- Members of the Watermen and Lightermen and Parish Clerks’ Companies.
- The current Master and the Clerk of a Livery Committee may both join for a single subscription fee.
Associate Membership (ie without voting rights)
- The Guild of Freemen of the City of London
- The Guild of Young Freemen
- Members of Ward Clubs.
- Ward Clubs may take out a joint membership for any two current Ward Club Officers (normally including the Hon. Secretary), for a single fee.
- Freemen of the City of London
- City Branch members of the Institute of Directors,
- City Branch members of the Royal Society of St. George
- Members of the Guildable Manor of Southwark
- Freemen of City of London Guilds approved by the Aldermanic Court
- Members of the Trades House of Glasgow
- Members of the Worshipful Livery Company of Wales
- Members of the Guild of Scriveners of York
- Members of the Guild of Cordwainers of York
- Members of the Cutlers of Hallamshire
- Members of the Merchant Taylors of York
- Members of the Merchant Adventurers of York
- Members of the Merchant Adventurers of Bristol
- Members of the Fellmongers of Richmond
- Members of the Drapers of Shrewsbury
- Members of the Incorporation of Weavers, Fullers and Shearmen of Exeter
Social Partner membership is available to the partners of Full and Associate members, at £75 p.a.
Annual Subscription (no joining fee) – payable by Direct Debit – from 01 October 2019
|Full Members, Associate Members||£280.00|
|Overseas Members* / Members over 75 / Members aged 40 – 42||£140.00|
|Members aged 43 – 44||£210.00|
|Members aged under 40||£70.00|
* permanent residence abroad
Membership runs from October to September, and the first year’s subscription is discounted if joining on 1 November or a later entry date.
Applications are considered four times a year, by the Club’s Membership and Development Committee and by Council. The following timetable applies:
|App. Received by||Council considers||Applicant notified||New members admitted|
|31st December||January||end January||1st February|
|31st March||April||end April||1st May|
|30th June||July||end July||1st August|
|30th September||October||end October||1st November|
Reductions in the first year’s rates are available for those who become Members in the following periods:
|Joining date||Subscription rate|
|1 August||1/12 (one month only since the Club is closed for part of August each year.)|
|2019-20||on 1/10/2019||on 1/11/2019||on 1/02/2020||on 1/05/2020||on 1/08/2020|
|Age 43 – 44||£210||£193||£140||£88||£18|
|Age 40 – 42||£140||£128||£93||£58||£12|