Membership and Governance
The Club is a Company Limited by Guarantee with a Board (Council) made up of Full Members of the Club who have served at least 3 years as Members. A group of Committees led by the Executive Committee manage the day-to-day running of the Club, and prospective Members are approved by the Council and the Membership & Development Committee. Members are admitted quarterly.
The Club welcomes applications from all those eligible to apply. Our Equal Opportunities Policy is here.
All applications must be signed by a proposer who is a current Full Member of the Club. If you know someone to propose you but are not sure if they are a Full Member, please contact the Clerk who will assist you.
Download an application form here
- Liverymen and Freemen of City Livery Companies
- Members of the Watermen and Lightermen and Parish Clerks’ Companies.
- The current Master and the Clerk of a Livery Committee may both join for a single subscription fee.
Associate Membership (ie without voting rights)
- The Guild of Freemen of the City of London
- The Guild of Young Freemen
- Members of Ward Clubs.
- Ward Clubs may take out a joint membership for any two current Ward Club Officers (normally including the Hon. Secretary), for a single fee.
- Freemen of the City of London
- City Branch members of the Institute of Directors,
- City Branch members of the Royal Society of St. George
- Members of the Guildable Manor of Southwark
- Freemen of City of London Guilds approved by the Aldermanic Court
- Members of the Trades House of Glasgow
- Members of the Worshipful Livery Company of Wales
- Members of the Guild of Scriveners of York
- Members of the Guild of Cordwainers of York
- Members of the Cutlers of Hallamshire
- Members of the Merchant Taylors of York
- Members of the Merchant Adventurers of York
- Members of the Merchant Adventurers of Bristol
- Members of the Fellmongers of Richmond
- Members of the Drapers of Shrewsbury
- Members of the Incorporation of Weavers, Fullers and Shearmen of Exeter
Social Partner membership is available to the partners of Full and Associate members, at £75 p.a.
Annual Subscription (no joining fee) – payable by Direct Debit – from 01 October 2019
|Full Members, Associate Members||£280.00|
|Overseas Members* / Members over 75 / Members aged 40 – 42||£140.00|
|Members aged 43 – 44||£210.00|
|Members aged under 40||£70.00|
* permanent residence abroad
Membership runs from October to September, and the first year’s subscription is discounted if joining on 1 November or a later entry date.
Applications are considered four times a year, by the Club’s Membership and Development Committee and by Council. The following timetable applies:
|App. Received by||Council considers||Applicant notified||New members admitted|
|31st December||January||end January||1st February|
|31st March||April||end April||1st May|
|30th June||July||end July||1st August|
|30th September||October||end October||1st November|
Reductions in the first year’s rates are available for those who become Members in the following periods:
|Joining date||Subscription rate|
|1 August||1/12 (one month only since the Club is closed for part of August each year.)|
|2019-20||on 1/10/2019||on 1/11/2019||on 1/02/2020||on 1/05/2020||on 1/08/2020|
|Age 43 – 44||£210||£193||£140||£88||£18|
|Age 40 – 42||£140||£128||£93||£58||£12|